Structure of Department
For cooperating of Economic and Technical, the Foreign Economic Relations Department organized with following 8 Division:
- Functions of Asia and America Section
- Functions for Europe, Australia and Africa Division
- Functions for Development Management and Cooperation Division
- United Nations, International Non-Governmental Organizations and International Organizations Division United
- ASEAN and ASEAN Economic Community Division
- Dialogue Partners Cooperation Division
- Legal ,Training and Scholarships Section
- Administration and Accounts Section
1.Functions of Asia and America Section
Asia and America Section is to coordinate for bilateral economic cooperation and bilateral foreign assistance to Myanmar between Ministries concerned and development partners from Asia such as China, Japan, Korea, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Mongolia, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Saudi and from America such as Canada, Brazil, etc.
- Coordinating/Facilitating for sending official grant project proposals of Ministries and State/Region governments to relevant development partner countries
- Coordinating with legal section for the signing of Exchange of Notes between Ministry of Planning and Finance and bilateral partner countries when grant projects are offered (by development partner side)
- Cooperating in submission to, and seek of Union Parliament approval for sending official loan project proposals of Ministries and State/Region governments to relevant development partner countries with Finance Side
- Coordinating for sending official loan project proposals as approved by the Union Parliament to relevant development partner countries through diplomatic channel
- Coordinating/Facilitating for sending proposals/requests letters for supports (project equipment etc.) to be provided under the technical cooperation programme with relevant development partner countries
- Coordinating/Facilitating in procedural and logistical matters with relevant Ministries to be able to participate in various Seminars, Workshops and Meetings conducted under the technical cooperation programmes with relevant development partner countries
- Proposing, Coordinating/Facilitating for the dispatch of experts, volunteers from relevant development partner countries as proposed by Ministries
- Coordinating and cooperating with relevant ministries in hosting/organizing various Seminars, Workshops and Meetings in Myanmar, as proposed by relevant development partner countries
- Compiling and preparing documents and talking points relating to bilateral economic cooperation matters for the State Visits of Leaders to relevant development partner countries (and the Visits from relevant development partner countries to Myanmar)
- Compiling and preparing documents and talking points relating to bilateral economic cooperation matters for the Union Ministers, Deputy Ministers and Head of Departments in their courtesy calls and bilateral meetings
- Carrying for getting multiple Visas(GOC) and Stay Permits(GOC)for persons who are carry out the tasks for development assistance and staffs from International Organizations and for getting tax exemption on importing and exporting of Vehicles Materials for personal, projects and office use
2. Functions for Europe, Australia and Africa Division
- Facilitate inter-ministerial coordination between relevant Ministries and bilateral development partners and agencies regarding the proposal, negotiation and effective implementation of programmes, projects and activity funded by official development assistance.
- Process missions, meetings, workshops, seminars and other event requests (domestic and international) and making necessary technical, administrative and logistical arrangements.
- Process project proposals submitted by Ministries and development partners to be implemented via official development assistance.
- Upon request, facilitate negotiations related to the provision of official development assistance between relevant Ministries and development partners countries.
- Process bilateral development partner and agency requests for travel clearance, visas, stay permits, tax exemptions on import and export of project vehicles and other project and personal related materials
3. Functions for Development Management and Cooperation Division
- To support the Government of Republic of the Union of Myanmar in ensuring that development assistance is used effectively, accountably and transparently for the benefit of Myanmar’s people.
- To serve as the dedicated Secretariat supporting the work of the Myanmar Economic Committee.
- To serve as the dedicated Secretariat supporting the work of the Development Assistance Coordination Unit (DACU) in delivering upon its mandate.
- To support, monitor and evaluate the implementation of all aspects of Myanmar Development Assistance Policy (DAP).
- To routinely monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of Myanmar’s development assistance coordination architecture, including the work of Myanmar’s Sector Coordination Groups and other relevant coordination mechanisms.
- To maintain Myanmar’s Aid Information Management System (AIMS) and in doing so, ensure the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, transparency and use of data reported by Partners in Development.
- To support the country-level implementation of the Global Partnership for Effective Development Cooperation (GPEDC), the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) and related commitments and initiatives.
- To facilitate cases submitted by State and Region Governments for consideration by the Economic Committee.
- To maintain awareness development assistance financed projects and programs reported by Government entities and provide analysis and guidance as required.
- To ensure full implementation and follow-up of Economic Committee decisions.
4.Functions for United Nations, International Non-Governmental Organizations and International Organizations Division
- To coordinate between line Ministries and UN Agencies/International Organizations(IOs) to formulate and implement the UN/IOs Country Programmes for socio-economic development of Myanmar.
- To coordinate between line Ministries and international organizations for economic cooperation activities and development assistance (loan/ grant/TA).
- To facilitate the request of UN/INGOs/IOs on visas, stay permit, travel permission.
- To facilitate the request of UN/IOs on importation, purchasing, selling, donation and disposals of vehicles.
- To provide the recommendation for tax exemptions on import and export of vehicles and other materials for project/office use of UN Agencies and personal effects of UN staffs.
- To organize the meetings, workshops, seminars and other events in Myanmar relating UN/IOs and also support the necessary arrangements for the representatives of relevant Ministries to attend the international meetings/ seminars/ workshops.
- To make contributions of Myanmar to some UN Agencies and International Organizations.
- To recommend for INGOs to register in Myanmar and update the INGOs Project list.
- Participating in the negotiation process of ASEAN economic integration.
- Coordinating with ASEAN Secretariat, ASEAN Member States, concerned ministries and organizations for the realization of ASEAN Economic Community (AEC).
- Arranging to conduct the AEC Awareness Programme for Myanmar with the support of ASEAN Secretariat and foreign organizations.
- Arranging to hold regular meetings of working committees (WGs) for the implementation of AEC 2025 Blueprint at the national level.
6. Dialogue Partners Cooperation Division
- Participating in the negotiation process of ASEAN plus one Free Trade Areas (FTAs) and Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP).
- Coordinating with ASEAN Secretariat, FTA partners, concerned ministries and organizations for the implementation of ASEAN plus one FTAs.
- Coordinating with concerned ministries and organizations for attending the meetings, trainings, seminars, workshops and capacity building programme abroad
- Arranging to host the meetings, trainings, seminar, workshop and the capacity building programme organized by ASEAN Secretariat and foreign countries.
7.Legal , Training and Scholarships Section
- Vetting of legal documents to be concluded between government agencies and foreign agencies for bilateral, regional and multilateral economic cooperation
- Coordinating with foreign agencies and government agencies on the draft legal documents for grant and technical assistance
- Processing for signing of agreements at government level
- Submitting the scholarships and training courses offered by foreign countries and international organizations to the Scholarship Selection and Approval Committee
- Forwarding the scholarships and training courses lists to the concerned ministries and organizations for their attendance as approved by the Scholarship Selection and Approval Committee
- Coordinating with foreign agencies and government agencies for the scholarships and training courses
- Arranging the information session of scholarship programmes to be done by foreign embassies and organizations when requested
8.Administration and Accounts Section
- Keeping staff records, recruiting staffs, undertaking staff affairs.
- Purchasing office stationeries and listing them used by divisions.
- Updating actual debit and credit for monthly, quarterly, mid-term and yearly and submitting them to the department concerned, undertaking the contribution to the International organizations, planning and budgeting for state own investment as well as Revised Estimate for the current year and Budget Estimate for the next year.
There are totally 157 staffs currently comprised of 98 officers and 59 staffs of other ranks in the department.