Ministry of Planning and Finance
Directorate of Investment and Company Administration
1. As part of its effort to establish a market oriented economic system in Myanmar, the Directorate of Investment and Company Administration (DICA) was formed under the Ministry of National Planning and Economic Development on October 13, 1993.
2. The main objectives of DICA which were based on the Investment Policies supporting for the implementation of Myanmar's 12 Point Economic Policies are as follow:
- To increase investments (local investment & foreign investment)
- To encourage private entrepreneurship
- To take part in regional and international economic cooperation
- To develop institutional frames
3. As the primary interface between businesses and the government, DICA is mandated to promote private sector development and to boost domestic and foreign investment by creating a conducive investment climate. DICA is taking several functions
- as a regulator on investment and companies
- as a company registrar
- as an investment promotion agency
- and as the Secretariat of MIC.
4. Furthermore, DICA is also responsible for drafting, negotiating and approving bilateral Investment Promotion and Protection Agreements and serves as a focal department for all ASEAN investment related affairs (e.g. ASEAN Comprehensive Investment Agreement, bilateral ASEAN Investment Agreements).
2013: A One Stop Service (OSS) center was established within DICA headquarter in Yangon to facilitate coordination and the engagement of businesses with other ministries.
2014: DICA moved its headquarter from Nay Pyi Taw to Myanmar’s economic center Yangon to easily cooperate with investors. At the same time DICA started to branch out to other states and regions, with first branches opening up in Nay Pyi Taw, Taunggyi, Mawlamyine and Mandalay.
2015: DICA expanded by 128 members of staff to support DICA’s role as a facilitator of the business community and its commitment to deliver better services. Processes of company registration and investment application are simplified and properly documented to make doing business easier in Myanmar. Myanmar improves by 29 ranks in the indicator “Starting a business” of the Doing Business Report, making it the country with the biggest improvement in the ease of starting a business in 2014/15. The first Myanmar Investment Fair is organized by DICA in Mandalay.
2016: A new website was launched to provide better information and services. Another branch offices were already opened in Pathein, Dawei, Monywa and Hpa-An . Further branches will be established in Bago and Magway.
2017: The new branch offices were already opened in Bago, Magway and Loikaw. The second Myanmar Investment Fair is held in Shan State on 10th February.